(source)
paul and i are still quite a few years from being parents. but it's interesting how God is kind of preparing me and shaping me for this. first of all, i am the least motherly person i know. i mean seriously, the number of times that i've babysat i can count on both hands. i can keep someone physically alive, i mean i am cpr and first responder certified and i've dealt with quite a few emergency situations. but anyone can do that. being a mom is a whole lot more than that.
i want to be honest. i am extremely passionate about serving people through medicine. i love it. it's what i have studied and how i feel called to serve the public and my community. but i've never really thought too much about being a mom. it's really FREAKING scary. i mean really scary. i definitely want to have children. i think it is the most important job in the world. i mean, my mom put so much time into nurturing, caring, and loving me. she didn't just 'deal' with me or make sure that i was okay in all emergency situations. i have much respect for mothers, good mothers who have great relationships with their kids.
so then why do i feel that i would be a failure if i was only a stay at home mom? i honestly don't think someone else is a failure for being that way. i honestly think that would be the hardest gig in the world. i love being out in the public with people, having conversation, gaining respect. to be home with a human being that has more energy and needs than anything i've ever dealt with makes me feel stressed already. is it the american culture that has pressed this idea into my mind? i don't know. i know that it is not good that i feel this way. what are your thoughts on this? i'm trying to seek wisdom. and be who my creator has made ME, Kylee Dawson, to be. i don't like worrying about it.
thoughts? anyone? please.


All I know is you have been an amazing sister and I think you will totally rock as a mom. Be prepared to surprise yourself :) plus lets be honest your hubster is a cool cat that's gonna be a good person to tag team this whole shindig with.
ReplyDeleteYou knew I’d reply, right? :) lol, I’ve just been sitting on it for a few days, plus I wanted to find this article….
ReplyDeleteOk, first of all, your statement that you are the “least motherly person” is totally and completely false. Although I don’t really know what your definition of “motherly” is, so maybe we can talk about that :) I will just share with you the absolute best advice that I have received so far: Dishes, laundry, cleaning, cooking…. All of it can fall by the wayside because none of it is more important than teaching your kids to love Jesus. And I’m pretty sure you’ll be darn good at that. :)
You’ve got to read this article. For one, it’s hilarious. For two, there is sooo much truth to it, especially in her summary.
http://thestir.cafemom.com/baby/116998/lesson_12_working_moms_vs
My summary? In the end, you have to seek the Lord about your decision and then follow that with all your heart and trust that He’ll give you the strength and wisdom to do what He’s called you to do—whatever that may be. And whatever it is, it’s gonna be hard, and people will criticize you for it, but you just have to follow what you know God’s calling you to and what you know is right for your family.
You are an amazing woman, Kylee Dawson. I have no doubt in my mind that if a baby popped out of you tomorrow, you’d be the best mom ever. I mean that with all my heart.
Ps- please name your little girl Ruth so I can call her Ruthie. Can you run that by Paul? :)