10.05.2010

Disgust.

Paul and I are youth leaders.



Some of our students go to one of the local high schools... North Hagerstown High.

There is a church called Westboro Baptist Church (you can see their website at http://www.godhatesfags.com/schedule.html).  You can tell by the name of the website where this is going... they protested against a gay-straight alliance today at North Hagerstown High.

And all that I can think of is the bumper sticker that reads "Jesus, save me from your followers".

I am reading "Irresistable Revolution" right now and Shane Claiborne gave one of Martin Luther King Jr.'s quotes:

"These are extreme times, the question is not whether or not we will be extremists, but what kind of extremists we will be.  Will we be extremists for hate or for love?"

So we have Christians who hold up signs that say, "God hates fags".

And so what is the answer?  How do we show these kids in youth group how to LOVE a friend who is homosexual?

Because the loudest Christian voice they're hearing here, where I live, is "God hates fags".



"We see Christians declaring hatred in the name of the Lamb, but where are the Christians who are extremists for love and grace?"

Jesus was all about Love and Grace.


I am nauseous just thinking about it.  and my heart breaks.

No comments:

Post a Comment